Readers, we need your suggestions!
I get a lot of design questions from friends, family and of course potential clients. Yesterday, I got “quick question” from a friend, who is also a reader, that I wanted to challenge you with.
Claire lives in KC. She got married just over a year ago. This past October, her new husband deployed overseas with the army. She moved into this apartment just after he left, so she could be closer to family. She’s working on decorating it without her husband but excited for when he comes home.
Question from Claire:
What do I do with the wall above my couch? It’s the back of the kitchen cabinets. Because it’s a rental, I cannot paint and cannot put screws or nails into the cabinets. If I hang anything, it must be secure enough to stay put with a curious cat running the apartment. Any suggestions?
The low down from Claire:
- The sofa is right up against the wall. There isn’t enough room to pull it forward in the room.
- The way the lay out is, the pass through is sort of a strange so the wall is more of just part of the living room. The pass-through area is not functional.
- There is about a foot of drywall above it so you can hang something.
- She wants to keep the pass through open.
- Cannot remove cabinets.
- Has to be fairly inexpensive.
- Cannot change the furniture placement or get new furniture.
I love the sofa and the colors that you are incorporating. Right up my alley!
These are very basic suggestions, as I thought I’d mainly start a discussion so that others can post possible solutions to this design challenge.
Perhaps you could distract from the problem area. You could find a screen or room divider that is not solid, paint it a fun color and hang it horizontally from the ceiling, behind the sofa, but in front of the bar area.
This could easily become a creative diy project with materials of your choice.
Or, you could hang some fun pendants of some sort. They do not have to be lighting.
They could even be made from small IKEA paper lanterns and coffee filters, not unlike the large one below.
What would you do?
This is a tough one! Please leave a comment with your suggestions. Can’t wait to hear your ideas!