We’re Making a Little Progress

If you’ve been following this blog for long, you know that we are sprucing up our laundry room.  We’ll be adding some board and batten, a stencil on the upper part of the wall, and hanging hooks and art.  Then, we’ll bring in benches, a rug and maybe even some sort of chandelier.   So, this is an update on our progress this week.

untitled shoot-021

Below is the end goal.  It’s the 3d drawing we made to guide us.

laundryroomdrawing

So far, we’ve painted the wall white.  By “we” I mean our painter.  It took three coats to cover the green.  It has to go white before we can do the stencil since the green is the top and the white is the background color in the drawing above.   Please ignore the mess on the counters.  It’s all of our supplies waiting to be used.

untitled shoot-009

Then, I bought the batten (vertical boards) which are 1/4 inch thick by 2.5 inches wide by 3 ft tall and real wood.  I chose this depth so that I didn’t have to replace the existing baseboards.  This will rest nicely on top of them.  I also purchased the board to go across the top which is actually fiberboard trim.  It will even provide a bit of a chair rail when hung.  A piece of it is laying against the wall, it’s the white board.  You can see it best in the first photo.  Then, the backing will just be the bare wall painted in a white semi gloss like the board and batten.

I leaned the vertical pieces against the wall to give the idea of what is to come.

The fiberboard trim was way too long to take home in my little SUV, so the painter is going to pick it up from Home Depot for me in his 20 ft trailer.  Yay!  That helped a ton.

untitled shoot-015

The painter will come back, nail the boards up, paint them, caulk them, and do the stencil on Tuesday and Wednesday.

We can’t wait!

kristysig

6 Comments :

  1. Good luck!! Painting is the worst part!

  2. Good luck, lucky you having the painters stencil :)…that is definitely the worst part. Can’t wait to see it when you’re finished.

  3. We just did our baby girl’s room in board an batten and it turned out beautifully! Good luck on yours too! The cutting and getting up was easy for us, but the caulking and patching and sanding is what was so tedious. I love the painting part. Took us probably two weekends total, so not bad for a project with so much bang for your buck!!

  4. Kristy, it is going to look fabulous! It is fun to watch the process and of course I can’t wait to see the finale! I love your blog :)

  5. To answer your question, we tapered the end of the boards to make it a better transition to the existing baseboards. We weren’t about to replace those!!! And it turned out great. Love the look of it all. I’ll post pictures on my blog soon of the finished product.

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>