I occasionally post spaces from friends and ask my readers for input.
I am trying to update our formal living room. I need your input. I have had this huge art piece of pottery vases above the couch and I needed to update it to something fresh…I went to Pier 1 and TJ Maxx yesterday and everything I am drawn towards looks exactly the same as that art so I wanted to know your idea….here is an art piece I found at Pier 1….but its kind of the same?
Below is her formal living room.
A photo she sent later on of the whole room from her phone.
She knows she wants to change out the art. She’s also open to changing the color scheme and a general update.
Below are three pieces of art that she saw recently and liked. However, she is concerned that they are too much like what she has.
Note that she has a thermostat over the sofa, so that cannot be covered.
When choosing art, be careful of the scale. You don’t want it too large or too small. So, first figure out what optimum measurements are for your space.
What are your thoughts?
A few of my thoughts on the art and space are –
- Though it’s not a bad room, I would consider lightening the space up some. There a lot of dark colors, especially since the sofas are so dark. That can make the space feel heavy.
- Art-wise, I did like the blues and greens from Kirklands the best, but it’s not the right size for the space. So, I’d shop around for something that is the right scale. Due to the thermostat on the wall, I like a gallery wall over the sofa.
- I’d also add lighter and brighter pillows that contrast with the sofa and that have a contemporary pattern.
- In addition, I would consider changing out the rug to maybe a shag rug for some texture. I love the rug, but lightening it up may be good.
- The chandelier adds some glam.
- The curtains can be hung higher to make the room look taller.
A VERY VERY quick sketch of a possible after (I didn’t have measurements or anything):
I am so in love with those etsy pillows!
And, with more reds instead, as the home owner seems drawn towards reds.
Those are super quick and really basic thoughts. I’m sure you guys have much better ideas!
What would you do? Would you keep the rug? What would you do by keeping the red and going with oranges and greens (what she is drawn toward most)? What art would you use in the room?